To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• #1—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to share the . (Financial benefit)
- “Research has shown the financial benefits of marriage. Long-term marriage offers a 77% better rate of return than staying single and total wealth of married persons increases 16% year over year. In other words, the you are married, the more money you make. . . . [I]f this was the reported returns on a stock growth fund, we’d all be jumping in.” (www.moneyunder30.com/financial-benefits-of-marriage)
• #2—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Emotional benefit)
• #3—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to keep you . (Physical benefit)
• #4—“Two are better than one” because you have someone to help you . (Security benefit)
» A great love story most have never heard . . .
- C. S. Lewis: “We feasted on love; every mode of it, solemn and merry, romantic and realistic, sometimes as dramatic as a thunderstorm, sometimes comfortable and unemphatic as putting on your soft slippers. She was my pupil and my teacher, my subject and my sovereign, my trusty comrade, friend, shipmate, fellow-soldier. My mistress, but at the same time all that any man friend has ever been to me.” (Quoted in Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts 142)
- Les and Leslie Parrott: “If there is a lesson to be gained from this amazing love story, it must be that partners without a spiritual depth of oneness can never compete with the fullness of love that enjoy. Marriage, when it is healthy, has a mystical way of revealing God; a way of bringing a smiling peace to our restless hearts.” (142)
» The third strand
• Jeremiah 9:24—“Let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know [yada] me, that I am the LORD.”
• Genesis 4:1—“Adam made love [yada] to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.”
• God takes the same word for “making love” [yada] and declares “That’s what I want in a relationship with you—the between a husband and a wife—I want you to know me like Adam knew Eve.”
• Alan McGinnis: “There can be no intimacy without .” (The Friendship Factor 105)
• Alice Fryling: “[Sex] is an expression of intimacy, not the to intimacy. True intimacy springs from verbal and emotional communion. True intimacy is built on a commitment to honesty, love and freedom. True intimacy is not primarily a sexual encounter. Intimacy, in fact, has almost nothing to do with our organs. A prostitute may expose her body, but her relationships are hardly intimate.” (www.focusonthefamily.com/faith/three-lies-about-premarital-sex/)
• Don’t miss Adventist Engaged Encounter with Jeff/Twyla Smith (Nov 1-3).
• Ecclesiastes 4:12—“A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”
- The Third Strand—Proverbs 18:24/John 15:13-14
- #1 Felt Need—How to grow a relationship with God
Join us on Friday evening, December 13, and be inspired by a program of music, Scripture readings, and drama honoring the King of Kings.
Feast of Lights is an evening of bells, instrumental music, choral and congregational singing, lights, and a Nativity scene joyfully retelling the Christmas story.
Friday, December 13, 7:00 PM
Andrews Academy Christmas Pops Concert
Usher in the Christmas season by attending an evening of popular Christmas music on Tuesday, Nov. 26, 2019 at 7:00pm. Join us at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University for a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
November 26, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Perfoming Arts Center
Feed the Need
We invite you to take part in the Feed the Need, PMC’s annual Thanksgiving food collection coordinated by the PMC Evergreen Pathfinder club. Please bring non-perishable food to church on Sabbath November 23 to bring forward during the Procession of Thanksgiving during Hymn Fest. We will also be passing and collecting out bags in portions of the community for community members who wish to contribute.
November 23, 2019, 9:00 AM & 11:45 AM
Four Ways You Can Help the Children and Youth in Benton Harbor, MI at the Harbor of Hope Seventh-day Adventist Church
1) Pray for the children, youth, their parents, teachers, and the leaders/
volunteers at Greater Young Kids and Greater Youth Movement.
2) Order Florida Citrus Fruit for yourself, a food pantry like Harbor of
Hope, Neighbor to Neighbor, or God’s Abundant Pantry or order gift boxes
for Christmas gifts! See pictures and order sheets all around Andrews
University. If you are buying fruit for others make a note of where you want
the fruit to go on your check memo line. WE NEED THE ORDERS AND MONEY BY
NOVEMBER 15!!!! We will get the fruit early in December.
3) Order Rada Cutlery and Gifts at: https://radafundraising.com/?rfsn=1862551.e0e1d5
4) Or you can donate money to go straight to helping the children and youth
of Harbor of Hope, just send checks and we will use it to help out.
Contact Terry Trecartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 645-5684. Make
out checks to Harbor of Hope and send them to the Harbor of Hope church at
769 Pipestone Street Benton Harbor, MI 49022.
The fruit will be delivered to the Harbor of Hope church and you can pick it up there or we can bring it to you at Andrews. Order some for Christmas!
We have order forms and information on some bulletin boards there at Andrews and there are some at Neighbor to Neighbor.
Sabbath November 23 at 4pm WILDERNESS ADVENTURE children's church continues at Andrews Academy. Bring a friend and have fun learning about God! Music, skits, puppets, prizes, crafts and games. Don't miss out!
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Location: Andrews Academy
AU Passion Play Seeking Actors
The Andrews University Passion Play is returning to campus on April 11, 2020! Anyone interested in acting is encouraged to sign up on the website: passionplay.andrews.edu. Additionally, interested volunteers may contact the Drama Director Katharina Burghardt for more information at email@example.com. Please join us in telling Jesus' story this Easter!
Hundreds of used Adventist books, pamphlets, periodicals, Ellen White books, audio-visuals, and more on sale. The sale is conducted during the hours the Center is open (S: 1 - 5 pm, M-Tr: 9 am - 7 pm and F: 9 am -1 pm) and will run for about three or four weeks as long as materials last.
Begins: October 28, 2019, 9:00 AM
Location: Center for Adventist Research