Finding Jesus in the Gathering Dark - 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“STORM: Finding Jesus in the Gathering Dark”—2
- The Storm
- Ian Bremmer: “The international order itself is unraveling. In the past eight years alone, the world has seen the worst financial crisis in decades, a global recession, a historic debt crisis in the euro zone, a wave of unrest across North Africa and the Middle East, civil war in Syria, a migrant crisis that calls into question the future of Europe’s open borders, war between Russia and Ukraine, Brexit, an explosion of cyber aggression and the election as U.S. President of one Donald Trump. Call it geopolitical creative destruction or just the sound of things falling apart, but the grinding of G-zero gears has become too loud to ignore.” (http://time.com/4606071/american-global-leadership-is-over/)
- Ellen White: “The present is a time of overwhelming interest to all living. Rulers and statesmen, men who occupy positions of trust and authority, thinking men and women of all classes, have their attention fixed upon the events taking place about us. They are watching the strained, restless relations that exist among the nations. They observe the intensity that is taking possession of every earthly element, and they recognize that something great and decisive is about to take place—that the world is on the verge of a stupendous crisis.” (Education 179)
- “Angels are now restraining the winds of strife, that they may not blow until the world shall be warned of its coming doom; but a storm is gathering, ready to burst upon the earth; and when God shall bid His angels loose the winds, there will be such a scene of strife as no pen can picture.” (Education 179-180)
- The Faith of Jesus
- Luke 18:8—“‘When the Son of Man comes, will He find on the earth?’”
- 1 John 5:4—“For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our .”
- John 16:33—“‘I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world.’”
- Hebrews 2:10-13—“‘I will put My in Him.’” (v 13)
- Revelation 14:12 NKJV—“Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the of Jesus.”
- 1 Corinthians 15:57—“But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- Galatians 2:20 KJV—“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in : and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”
- Revelation 3:21—“‘To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with Me on my throne, I overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.’”
- Christ’s Object Lessons 149: “All that Christ received from God we too may . Then ask and receive. With the persevering faith of Jacob, with the unyielding persistence of Elijah, claim for yourself all that God has promised.”
- Remember—when God speaks a word—the instant He speaks the word—the word immediately creates the reality it represents.
- So “Let there be faith” immediately creates faith.
- “God has granted to everyone a measure of faith.” (Romans 12:3)
- “‘Have faith in God.’” (Mark 11:22)
Say AMEN to the “faith of Jesus”
Summer is rapidly coming to an end, and soon it will be time for Fall Grow Groups! Right now we’re looking for dedicated individuals who are excited to share their passions and grow their faith by leading small groups. Fall Grow Groups will meet September 18-December 10, 2022. If you’re interested in leading, text LEAD to 269-281-2345 or visit pmchurch.org/grow. The deadline to register a group is August 20. Feel free to email email@example.com with any questions.
For those who are interested: It is time to register and get signed up for the Jr. Cardinals basketball program through the Berrien Springs Partnership Program.
Registration will be open July 31 at 6 pm through August 14 at midnight. Here is the link: https://www.berrienspringspartnership.com/
Cost of the Jr. Cardinals basketball program this year:
Varsity - $700
Jr. Varsity - $500
Redbirds (middle school) - $350
For those who wish to take advantage of this amazing opportunity and avoid the cost of the program, register for the fall and spring session of the Berrien Springs Partnership.
You may choose to self pay the cost if you wish.
Tryout dates are not set yet. We will communicate the dates when we have them. If you aren't sure if you will make the team or not, please sign up through the Partnership anyway - it will be great basketball instruction either way!
Pioneer Operating Budget
Who Can Outgive God?
1 Chronicles 29:14 “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.”
Our generosity is inspired by God’s generosity. In preparation for the construction of the temple, the Bible reports the generosity of Israel. First, King David gave lavishly out of his personal treasures. Then the other leaders gave willingly, following his example. Inspired by their leaders, the rest of the people gave “freely and wholeheartedly to the Lord” (v.9). Seeing such an expression of generosity, David burst into praise and mentioned the factor driving such a profusion in giving: “Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.” David considered giving as a response to what God has already provided: Election, forgiveness, presence, promises and abundance. No one can outgive God. Even if someone chooses to give everything, God has all the means to replenish that person’s resources. This was the mindset of David, a leader-giver in Israel.
Abraham, a Masai man, had a similar mindset. He was the owner of 1,000 head of cattle and large herds of sheep and goats. Acknowledging that God was the Source of his blessing, he decided to be faithful to God. He placed his cattle in large pens and counted them as they walked through a chute. Each 10th cow, Abraham dedicated as tithe for God. His friends and acquaintances were amazed. In their culture, people’s wealth is measured in cattle. One doesn’t just give away his cows! They began to mock him, and many people declared him to be crazy. But the laughter abruptly stopped nine months later when 40 of Abraham’s cows gave birth to twins! In addition, many of his goats and sheep birthed triplets!
“Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” (Num. 23:19). This week, as we worship with our tithe and regular offerings let us reflect on the truthfulness of these words in our own life.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Thank you Church Family! We appreciate your support in coming out to Baguette de France on July 27 to support the RMES fundraiser. Thanks to the many church members, parents, students, faculty, and community members and the generosity of Baguette de France's owners, David and Marivel Kissinger, we were able to raise over $1,200 for classroom projectors! We praise God for this wonderful blessing!
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Future Family DVD series with Andy Stanley Family. We all have one. While some of us loved our "growin up" years, others of us couldn't wait to move out and start fresh. Either way, we want our Future Family to be a step up from our families of origin. Most of us want something better for our children.
July 23--Ideally Speaking
July 30--Power Down
August 6--Common Cause
August 13--All the Fixin's
August 20--Our Way, A Way
August 27--The Echo
Come join us in PMC room 141
Register now for an uplifting and spirit-filled weekend at Camp au Sable. The annual District Nine Family Camp is Labor Day weekend, September 2-5, 2022. Application materials can be found at http://districtnine.wix.com/home.
Join us as we beautify our building and grounds for the beginning of the new school year.
Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services Director, Emersond Jean-Baptiste, has a challenge to every church in Berrien County to find ways to be a cornerstone in impacting the lives of children and families. There are 60 foster homes in
our county and over 200 kids in foster care. This is a great opportunity to make a "Love on the Move" difference in the life of a child. Reach out to me and together with Emersond we can discuss ways to do exactly that. For more information contact Carol Jordan at email@example.com.