Pioneer Women’s Ministries engages women in Christ-centered discipleship, fellowship and service to glorify God through prayerfully planned activities and events. We are inviting you to participate in a survey that will help plan these activities and events this year. We would be delighted to hear from you either by completing the online survey or by phone by calling Lyn McCarty at 269-208-3377.
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 4
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—4
The Rooster and the Dove
- The Rooster
- Mark 14:66-72
- Desire of Ages: "In that gentle countenance [Peter] read deep pity and sorrow, but there was no anger there. The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. . . . Once more he looked at his Master, and saw a sacrilegious hand raised to smite Him in the face. Unable longer to endure the scene, he rushed, heartbroken, from the hall." (713)
- The Dove
- Mark 1:9-13
- Matthew 10:16—"'I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.'"
- 1 Corinthians 10:13—"No temptation has seized you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
- 2 Kings 6:12—"'None of us, my lord the king,' said one of his officers, 'but Elisha the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.'"
- Psalm 50:15—"Call upon Me in the day of trouble and I will deliver you!"
- John 16:13—"'But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.'"
- Isaiah 30:21—"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"
- 1 Corinthians 8:4, 7—"So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. . . . But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled."
- Romans 14:23—"But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."
- SDA Bible Commentary: "The Christian should never violate his conscience. It may require educating. It may tell him that certain things are wrong that in themselves may not be wrong. But until convinced by the Word and the Spirit of God that a certain course is proper for him, he ought not to pursue it. He must not make others the criterion for his conduct; he must go to the Scriptures and learn for himself his duty in the matter." (SDABC 5:641)
- The Dove and the Rooster
- Our High Calling: "As we yield to the influence of the Spirit of God [the Dove], our conscience [the Rooster] becomes tender and sensitive, and sin that we have passed by with little thought, becomes exceeding sinful." (153)
- Which is why we must ask for both Gifts:
Dear God—give to me please a clear conscience sensitive to sin. I don't want to drink the Kool Aid and suck up the poison. I know full well what sin is—my conscience immediately goes into Red Alert. So please grant me Your power to obey Your Voice. And please give to me, dear Jesus, Your baptism of the Holy Spirit. Even as He came upon you, let Him come upon me, too—everyday. So that daily I might hear and obey the loving voice of Your Spirit through my Conscience, I humbly pray. Amen.
2 Birds, 2 Gifts, 1 Voice
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
- Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
- Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
- Spring Grow Groups Meet: February 7 – May 1
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email email@example.com with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
"Military life can be a lonely life away from family on deployment," notes James North, Pioneer's Servicepersons Coordinator. "Military families may have a difficult time in a foreign country even though they are together," he continues. "I spent 358 days (I marked each day on a self-created calendar) in Viet Nam away from my wife and 3 toddler daughters. My access to some of the following material was vital."
SDA military persons may receive complimentary subscriptions to Adventist Review, the Adult Bible Study Guide (Sabbath School), and For God and Country and the choice of 2 journals from Guide, Liberty, Message, Our Little Friend, Primary Treasure, Signs of the Times, and Vibrant Life.
A 2021 order form and instructions are found on page 28 of the current issue of For God and Country and I will post a copy of the form in next week's bulletin. If you have military Adventist family members we invite you to send this information to them.