To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• The promise: You will sit with Me on My one day.
• The condition: You must first today.
• Sigve Tonstad: “Awareness of conflict changes the way we construe victory and defeat. While Jesus makes promises ‘to everyone who conquers,’ with no object in the sentence, the tenor of conflict is better preserved if we translate it ‘to everyone who overcomes .’ It is not wrong to say that the believers ‘overcome’ or ‘conquer,’ but it is implied throughout that they are engaged in a .”
• Revelation 12:7-9, 12, 17
• “If the curtain could be rolled back, and each one could discern the constant activities of the heavenly family to preserve the inhabitants of the earth from Satan’s seductive
wiles, . . . [t]hey would see that the armies of heaven are in continual warfare with satanic agencies, to obtain victories in behalf of those who do not sense their danger, and who are passing on in unconscious indifference. Angels are belting the world, refusing Satan his claims to supremacy. . . . We hear not the voices, we see not with the natural sight the work of these angels, but their hands are linked about the world, and with sleepless vigilance they are keeping the armies of Satan at bay.” (In Heavenly Places 98)
• “To the one who overcomes as I .”
• John 16:33— “‘In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have the world!’”
» Why don’t more Christians live victorious lives?
• Reason #1—We do not fully appreciate the sinfulness of .
• Vaughn Allen: “We do not realize how utterly detestable sin is; we do not comprehend how contrary sin is to God’s character and how terribly offensive it is to Him. We have lived with sin and its results so long and toyed with it so much that for us it has lost much of its horror and repugnance.” (The War Is Real: And So Is the Victory 71)
• Steps to Christ: “We shall not renounce sin unless we see its .” (23)
• Vaughn Allen: “The absolute horror of sin can be seen only when we look at the . It would be well for us each day to pray that God would give us a genuine abhorrence of sin and a for it because of what it did to the Son of God and because of what it does to us.” (71)
• Reason #2—We are not convinced that sin is possible in this life.
• Great Controversy: “If those who hide and excuse their faults could see how Satan exults over them, how he taunts Christ and holy angels with their course, they would make haste to confess their sins and to put them away. Through defects in the character, Satan works to gain control of the whole mind, and he knows that if these defects are cherished, he will succeed. Therefore he is constantly seeking to deceive the followers of Christ with his sophistry that it is impossible for them to overcome.” (489)
• Signs of the Times: “Without Christ we cannot subdue a single sin or overcome the smallest temptation.” (August 10, 1891)
• Jesus: “‘Without Me you can do nothing.’” John 15:5
• Philippians 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
• Jude 24—“Now to Him who is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.
• Selected Messages: “He who has not sufficient faith in Christ to believe that He can keep him from , has not the faith that will give him an entrance into the kingdom of God.” (3:360)
• 1 John 2:1, 13-14; 5:3-4
• Revelation 3:20
• Before Jesus commands Laodicea to “ ” the devil, He invites us to “ ” the door.
• Selected Messages: “John pointed the people to the Lamb of God who taketh away the sins of the world. He said, ‘Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.’ There is a great deal in that ‘taketh away.’ The question is, Shall we keep on sinning as though it were an impossibility for us to overcome? How are we to overcome? As Christ overcame, and that is the only way. He prayed to His heavenly Father. We can do the same....When tempted to speak wrong and do wrong resist Satan and say, I will not surrender my will to your control. I will cooperate with divine power and through grace be conqueror.” (3:195)
“Faith is the Victory”
Offering for November 27, 2021
Michigan Advance Partners—Willamston
The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Williamston, Michigan had seen its membership decline steadily over many years and by the time that our state had moved into "lockdown" status in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the church and its pastor had been forced to downgrade to a company with less then a dozen regularly attending members. The church was in dire need of repairs and upgrades, including a pot-holed, dirt parking lot that had damaged more than one car. Two kind saints, touched by the church and their needs and the members' earnest desire, helped the church begin a massive renovation project.
Once all the expenses were calculated for parking lot improvements, an updated sign, mold remediation in the basement where water damage had brought the mold count to dangerously high levels, painting, decorating, a new furnace, landscaping, and a host of other projects, the small company was looking at a grand total that seemed well beyond the reach of their financial capabilities!
However, they prayerfully decided to move forward and to supplement their fundraising and giving efforts, submit a request to MAP for an additional one-third of the total project cost. They were elated and humbled when MAP approved their request!
The Williamston company was able to improve their parking lot, complete the mold remediation and do several other updates with the funds provided. They are well on their way to completing the entire project which seemed so daunting in the beginning. The members now have a warm, welcoming, and healthy church that they are seeking to fill through outreach, canvassing, and
Your cheerful giving today to MAP will allow MAP funds to bless churches like Williamston throughout Michigan and help us spread the Three Angels Message and pave the way for the soon return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ!
—PMC Stewardship Committee
Andrews Academy Invites You to the Feast of Lights
Andrews Academy will be presenting the 48th annual Feast of Lights program on Friday, December 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM. The community is invited to attend this spectacular night of music, Scripture and drama honoring the King of Kings. It is an evening of lights, bells, instruments, choral singing, congregational singing, shepherds, a Nativity scene, and the retelling of a glorious Christmas story. Chorale and Orchestra will end the program with the Hallelujah chorus. The church sidewalks will be arrayed in Christmas lighting. The program will speak to your hearts of His wondrous love. All are invited to attend this free program held at Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University.
You are also invited to an evening of popular Christmas music on Saturday, December 11, at 7:00 PM at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University. Join us as we bring in the holidays with a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
"Joy to the Season": AU Wind Symphony Christmas Concert
Get in the Christmas spirit as the Andrews University Wind Symphony under the direction of Byron Graves performs its annual holiday concert on Saturday, December 4, at 8:00pm in the Howard Performing Arts Center! Along with classics like Joy to the World, Ding Dong Merrily on High, and Away in a Manger, we will present imaginative transformations of Jingle Bells and the Nutcracker Suite by Julie Giroux, music from Disney’s Frozen, and a mambo version of We Wish You a Merry Christmas. You won’t want to miss it!
Children Christmas Celebration
On Sabbath December 11, during both services, we will have the opportunity once again to give and share with the children in our community. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy to share for ages newborn through 16. These will be given to the children in our community.
Full-time Paid Ministry Position "Training & Outreach Assistant" for ASAP Ministries' Reach the World Next Door (RWND) Program.
ASAP Ministries is looking for an effective communicator with good organizational skills and attention to detail, as well as marketing experience, including social media and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe InDesign/Photoshop.
Duties will include general office tasks coordinating RWND's day-to-day activities, promoting the RWND training course through social media and other communication channels, and following up to facilitate participants’ completion of the RWND training course.
God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that grew out of a Grow Group and originated in 2013. It exists to support foster care, adoption, kinship placement and disadvantaged families serviced through Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services and other agencies. We provide a support group for foster, adoptive and kinship families. We also invite families who are interested in fostering, adopting or supporting these families to join us. Their next meeting is November 18. For more information visit GH4K.org and join their Facebook Group, where they share needs presented to them.
A Prayer for Veterans
O God, Father of military persons as well as civilians, on this Sabbath following Veterans’ Day, we pray for all those who have served in one of the branches of the Department of Defense-Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy, and have separated or retired. We realize that not all were God-loving or even God-fearing, but all were serving their country selflessly. Many have been very seriously wounded, some physically, some mentally-lifelong wounds. But, wounded or not we ask for them your bounteous grace and mercy-lifelong. Touch with generous and caring hearts those who have caring responsibilities, official and unofficial, to provide gracious and comprehensive care as Good Samaritans. Today, we also pray Your merciful care for all veterans, world-wide, through Jesus, Who has all authority in Heaven and Earth, till He comes again. Amen.
World Service Organization Database Launched
The World Service Organization (WSO) is part of the Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries Department. The WSO is the church entity that supports Adventists who serve their communities, militaries, and local, regional, and national governments.
In order to support you, we need to know who you are and what you do. We have created a system to collect this information and store it securely. Now, we need you to create your profile.
WHO SHOULD CREATE A PROFILE
Any Adventist who serves in:
a national military or defense force (This includes Active Duty, Reserves, and National Guard, and State Defense Forces.)
Law Enforcement personnel (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
Firefighters (City, County, State/Province/Federal)
Search and Rescue/EMTs/First Responders
Corrections (State/Province or Federal)
Government (City, County, State/Province, or Federal)
YOU CAN CREATE YOUR PERSONAL PROFILE AT PORTAL.WORLDSERVICEORGANIZATION.ORG.
Once you log in, choose the Adventist in Uniform/Government registration platform. You’ll be asked to provide your name and contact information, government service information, and church relationship.
Be sure to complete the section on subscriptions to receive your complimentary For God and Country magazine subscription, occasional email updates, and texts from the World Service Organization. Don’t forget to click submit.
Wednesday Morning Prayer Meeting
You're invited to our Wednesday morning prayer meeting which meets at 7:00 AM on Zoom. This is a fantastic group that meets to share and pray together once a week. We are about to head into the holiday season, we are going to begin a series that you are not going to want to miss. Over the last year, we have explored biblical characters who shared their faith. As we begin our next chapter, I would like to invite you to join us as we explore 5 steps to intentionally sharing our faith. This series will run from November 10 – December 8.
We at Pioneer have been celebrating with Don and Trudy Starlin over his recent successful double-lung transplant. He had days to live when the donor's lungs became available. And the good news is he is recovering very well, having been moved from his transplant hospital to a nearby rehabilitation hospital. The last text message from Trudy reports he walked 1,650 steps a couple of days ago, his chest and feeding tubes have been removed, his spirits are strong—and we join them in praising God for this miraculous (how else can you describe a double-lung transplant?) intervention.
Family and friends of the Starlins have started a GoFundMe account to raise monies to offset the immense costs of this transplant operation. Insurance simply does not cover the myriad of expenses—room and board in the city, loss of employment during the recent months of waiting, continued unemployment until recovery is complete, rehabilitation, et al. While Pioneer cannot publish every worthy GoFundMe project, we can rally to the needs of this hometown couple who have faithfully served this congregation and are facing monumental financial challenges.
May our prayers surround these two Pioneer Family members on their road to recovery—"being confident of this, that He who began a good work in [them] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:6).