Pioneer is now open for worship in its Sanctuary. Sabbath Schools remain meeting digitally or in smaller off-site groups at this time. For details regarding prevention measures in place and the COVID-19 Pioneer response click here.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Headline: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of . Life does not consist in an of possessions.” (v 15)
• “Another [happiness] factor is what positive psychologists refer to as the ‘ [pleasure-seeking] treadmill.’ Through the same process of habituation [decrease in our response to a stimulus after being repeatedly exposed to it], the happiness associated with a new purchase, a new job, or a new house soon fades. Trying to recapture and retain feelings of excitement and happiness results in the pursuit of more new things, which becomes a never-ending task, like being on a continuous treadmill.” (www.happify.com/hd/can-money-ever-buy-you-happiness/)
• Tagline: “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for but is not toward God.” (v 21)
• Investopedia: “According to the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2018, the top percent of adults account for more than 47 percent of household wealth globally. This raises an interesting question: Who exactly are the percent worldwide? The surprising answer: If you’re an American, you don’t have to even be close to being uber-rich to make the list. . . . An income of $ a year will allow you to make the cut. . . . So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top percent worldwide.” (www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050615/are-you-top-one-pe...)
•Punchline: When you combine the headline to Jesus’ parable with the tagline of His parable, you very quickly come to His punchline: !
• Ed Gungor: “ touches a nerve in us that nothing else does. We look a lot like God when we do it [John 3:16]. When you , you defy the fear that you won’t have enough. You insult , the impulse to acquire or possess more than one needs or deserves. If you really believe that God owns it all and that he is your source and provider, will be a simple matter. . . . The arena of is the only place where exactly what’s going on in your heart is revealed. According to Jesus, keeps your heart in motion toward God and away from material things. . . . Your heart will follow the direction of your .” (Religiously Transmitted Diseases)
• Luke 12:32-34.
• Ellen White: “Let us surrender ourselves a living sacrifice, and our all to Jesus. It is His; we are His purchased possession. Those who are recipients of His grace, who contemplate the cross of Calvary, will not question concerning the proportion to be given, but will feel that the richest offering is all too meager, all disproportionate to the great of the only-begotten Son of the infinite God. Through self-denial, the poorest will find ways of obtaining something to to God.” (RH July 14, 1896)
• Be rich toward the God who’s been rich toward you.
The Adventurer program was created to assist parents in their important responsibilities as a child’s primary teachers and evangelizers. This program is focused on children aged 4–9 years. Our Forever Friend Adventurer Club is starting this coming Sunday October 4th
at 10am. If you're an Adventurer interested in joining our club or a prospective staff member looking to volunteer, feel free to contact us. We are looking forward to meeting you!
Join us: https://form.jotform.com/202305992868162
10:00 AM, October 4, 2020
Pioneer on Vimeo
Did you know that Pioneer video archives are all availale online through a Vimeo account? Pioneer uses Vimeo to post more than just sermons including announcements and special features. Start watching today at https://vimeo.com/pmchurch.
Please mark Sabbath, October 3 (9:00/11:45 AM), for a joyful celebration of the Lord's Supper as a worshiping community. While we will participate with actual emblems of bread and wine, because of the pandemic the elements will be prepackaged for your safety. These packaged elements will be available for your pickup at the church office the week before (Monday, September 28 through Sabbath, October 3). On-site worshipers will receive the packaged communion elements upon arriving for worship Sabbath morning.
But how will we celebrate foot washing? We're inviting every worshiper and family to experience Jesus' example in John 13 by washing each other's feet that Friday evening where you live. If you would like someone with whom to share this foot washing, you may either invite a friend to join you or please call Claudia Sowler (269-471-3134) for arrangements. Why not make this foot washing a part of your Friday evening worship as we gather across this community to welcome the Lord of the Sabbath into our homes at sundown?
Then Sabbath morning through music, prayer, the reading, and preaching of the Word ("American Apocalypse: How to Train Your Dragon—By the Blood of the Lamb") let's throw wide our hearts to the Christ we love to worship. "Do this in remembrance of Me" (Luke 22:19).
4th Quarter Lesson Study Guides
The 4th Quarter Lesson Study Guides are ready for you to pick up at the church office during regular business hours.
Sabbath School Class to Study "Experiencing God"
Pioneer's Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be using the Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God (Study Guide) next quarter, beginning October 3. If you have always wanted to read this book, which has changed so many lives, you are welcome to
join us by Zoom. The class meets each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The 270-page study guide, which is conveniently divided into 12 weekly lessons, can be purchased at Amazon.com for $15.99. For more information and to receive the Zoom link each week, please contact Jane Thayer at email@example.com.
Make a Difference as an Online Chat Host
Are you friendly and do you enjoy social media? Then, we have a great opportunity for you to be involved in ministry. Through streaming its services on Facebook Live and our website, Pioneer Memorial Church reaches thousands of people every single week. We’re looking to build a new team of local moderators/hosts for our online chat experiences. You could do this from your home. For more information contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to all those who helped in any way to promote and support our July 23 Red Cross Blood Drive. That includes the Pioneer pastors and staff and especially the Pioneer Safety Committee who helped us establish COVID-related safety protocols and procedures with the Red Cross for the drive. Thank you to those who recruited someone to give, promoted the drive, helped set up, take down, register participants and
provide refreshments after donations. And, a SUPER SPECIAL THANK YOU to those that Gave The Gift Of Life by donating precious blood. We had one of our most successful summer blood drives ever despite the COVID virus (or, maybe because of the COVID virus). Less people away at camp meetings and traveling and vacationing? Just a hunch. Our next blood drive is scheduled for October 20, 2020 and again on February 24, 2021. Be well and God Bless! -Larry Ulery
Love on the Move
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."