To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Brigham Young University studied 2035 married people:
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
• Mike Mason: “Is there any other activity at all which an adult man and woman may engage in together (apart from worship) that is actually more childlike, more clean and pure, more natural and wholesome and unequivocally right than is the act of love making? . . . Surely is the deepest communion that is possible between human beings.” (The Mystery of Marriage: As Iron Sharpens Iron 121)
• JESUS&SEX #2—We have it.
- Matthew 5:27-28
• How the enemy deceives us into denting this gift?
- Pornographic sex is sex marriage—sex usually with yourself.
- Premarital sex is sex marriage—sex with someone else.
- Extramarital sex is sex of marriage—sex with someone who isn’t your spouse.
• Lust simply defined means—”I gotta have it .”
• The Rooster and the “Coolidge Effect”
• Jennifer Schwirtzer: “The point of this story is that sexuality, especially male sexuality, tends to be novelty-driven. Male rats will copulate, then tire and stop sexual activity until scientists drop a new female rat into the cage, when suddenly the male feels his mojo return. He will continue to copulate with each partner until he literally dies of exhaustion. Clearly, this novelty-driven sexuality moves in the opposite direction from God’s plan of long-term faithfulness to one partner.” (13 Weeks to Love 63)
• A proverb: “Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for ?”
• “Just the right amount of wrong.”
• Proverbs 6:25, 27, 32—”Do not lust in your heart after her [his] beauty or let her [him] captivate you with her [his] eyes. . . . Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? . . . But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself.”
“I Then Shall Live”
I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven.
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child and I am not afraid.
So, greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.
I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion.
I’ve been so loved, that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.
Your Kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name, O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.
—David Phelps/Gloria Gaither
Lead or Join a Grow Group
It's a fresh new year, and it's time for a fresh new Grow Groups season! Grow Groups are Pioneer's small groups that incorporate 5 S's: Shared interest, Spiritual touchpoint, Service project, Social event, Semester-based. That's it, in a nutshell! Grow Groups are for EVERYONE—all welcome to join.
Leaders, if you are passionate about something and want to use that to foster community and lead others to Jesus, we can probably help you turn that passion into a Grow Group! Let us know as soon as possible because the deadline to sign up to lead a group is January 21. For more information please email email@example.com or visit pmchurch.org/grow to sign up.
Dates to Keep in Mind:
Digital Group Leader Registration Deadline: January 21
Leader Orientation (via Zoom): February 1, 7:00 PM
It is almost time for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. Pioneer knows that you have had an unusual year and wants to make it easy for you to receive your Year-end Contribution Statement. This time around, you will receive your Contribution Statement easily and conveniently via email. If you have not recently updated your contact details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your current email address to ensure that you receive your statement. Thank you!
Adventist active-duty military personnel are eligible to receive a free devotional book, courtesy of the National Service Organization and Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries. Single service members, as well as other employee categories, may choose one free devotional. Married service members may choose two devotional books. You may order these online in your personal profile here at AdventistsonUniform.org. There will be more information about the profile next week.
Our National Service Organization, a subsidiary of Adventist Chaplaincy Ministries offers a free devotional book annually.
To be eligible for NSO-sponsored complimentary devotional books, you must be a Seventh-day Adventist Church member in an Adventist church in the North American Division and in one of the following military-related categories:
All North American Division members who are active-duty military stationed overseas for a year or longer
DoD civilian employee of the military services stationed overseas
DoDEA teacher or principal stationed overseas
Military exchanges (AAFES, NEX, etc.) worker overseas
Government contractor overseas
A spouse living overseas with their non-Adventist military spouse
Keep our service people in prayer. They face some difficult decisions and endure hardships daily and need God's wisdom and protection. Have you any military family members or friends that we can include in our prayers? Send their names to email@example.com.