To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (firstname.lastname@example.org)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
The Christmas Experience
Get your family ready for Christmas and its deeper meaning. Join our Healthy Families Sabbath School class 10:30 AM. Sabbath Morning in Room 141. We will be showing and discussing the DVD study series, The Christmas Experience.
December 4- Just the Right Time, December 11- Favored One, December 18-Faithful One, December 25-This is God's Plan?, January 1-Immanuel, January 8-Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh.
Thank-you to all who braved the weather on Sunday, November 14 to participate in the Village of Berrien Springs Shamrock Spruce-Up! 18 of the 24 volunteers who came out to show love on the move were part of the Pioneer team. Participants were out for around four hours, raking, blowing, and bagging leaves in yards all over Berrien Springs. It was a blessing for everyone involved!
Offering for December 4, 2021
Local Church Budget
And [Jesus] looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. So He said, "Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had." Luke 21:1-4
Donny and Johnny were the youngest of 7 children. Their family wasn't blessed with an abundance of money, but there was more than enough love to go around.
One Christmas there was no money to buy presents, so each person in the family exchanged something they already had with someone else. Donny and Johnny were chosen to exchange gifts with each other. Neither boy had much, but Donny had a shiny, sliver flashlight that Johnny thought was pretty cool.
It was the only possession of real significance Donny had.
On Christmas morning when the gifts were exchanged, what do you suppose Donny had given to Johnny? That's right, it was his silver flashlight! Rather than just giving Johnny something that wasn't very valuable, he gave him the best that he had.
When we give our offerings to God let us remember that it isn’t the dollar amount that is of greatest importance. Rather, it is the sacrifice we make that renders our gift as valuable in Heaven’s sight. Today’s offering is for the Local Church Budget.
—PMC Stewardship Committee
Andrews Academy Invites You to the Feast of Lights
Update: Andrews Academy will be presenting the 48th annual Feast of Lights program on Friday, December 10, 2021 at 7:00 PM. With the rise of COVID-19 cases our community and county, the 48th annual Feast of Lights program will be live streamed for our community. To provide enough physical distancing we are restricting the in-building audience to just a limited number of family members of participants. For many in our community the Feast of Lights is part of our cherished Christmas traditions, we are sorry that we have to make this last minute change. The community is invited to enjoy this spectacular night of music, Scripture, and drama, honoring the King of Kings. It will still be an evening of lights, bells, instruments, choral singing, congregational singing, shepherds, a Nativity scene, and the retelling of a glorious Christmas story. The program will speak to your hearts of His wondrous love.
You are also invited to an evening of popular Christmas music on Saturday, December 11, at 7:00 PM at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University. Join us as we bring in the holidays with a variety of well-known Christmas songs including a grand finale played by the combined musical groups.
"Joy to the Season": AU Wind Symphony Christmas Concert
Get in the Christmas spirit as the Andrews University Wind Symphony under the direction of Byron Graves performs its annual holiday concert on Saturday, December 4, at 8:00pm in the Howard Performing Arts Center! Along with classics like Joy to the World, Ding Dong Merrily on High, and Away in a Manger, we will present imaginative transformations of Jingle Bells and the Nutcracker Suite by Julie Giroux, music from Disney’s Frozen, and a mambo version of We Wish You a Merry Christmas. You won’t want to miss it!
Spread Some Joy
On Sabbath December 11, during both services, we will have the opportunity once again to give and share with the children in our community. Please bring a new, unwrapped toy to share for ages newborn through 16. These will be given to the children in our community.
Full-time Paid Ministry Position "Training & Outreach Assistant" for ASAP Ministries' Reach the World Next Door (RWND) Program.
ASAP Ministries is looking for an effective communicator with good organizational skills and attention to detail, as well as marketing experience, including social media and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe InDesign/Photoshop.
Duties will include general office tasks coordinating RWND's day-to-day activities, promoting the RWND training course through social media and other communication channels, and following up to facilitate participants’ completion of the RWND training course.
God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that grew out of a Grow Group and originated in 2013. It exists to support foster care, adoption, kinship placement and disadvantaged families serviced through Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services and other agencies. We provide a support group for foster, adoptive and kinship families. We also invite families who are interested in fostering, adopting or supporting these families to join us. Their next meeting is November 18. For more information visit GH4K.org and join their Facebook Group, where they share needs presented to them.
A Prayer for Veterans
O God, Father of military persons as well as civilians, on this Sabbath following Veterans’ Day, we pray for all those who have served in one of the branches of the Department of Defense-Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy, and have separated or retired. We realize that not all were God-loving or even God-fearing, but all were serving their country selflessly. Many have been very seriously wounded, some physically, some mentally-lifelong wounds. But, wounded or not we ask for them your bounteous grace and mercy-lifelong. Touch with generous and caring hearts those who have caring responsibilities, official and unofficial, to provide gracious and comprehensive care as Good Samaritans. Today, we also pray Your merciful care for all veterans, world-wide, through Jesus, Who has all authority in Heaven and Earth, till He comes again. Amen.
Women's Ministries Reflections on Christmas Hymns
First Advent Calendar 2021
“Reflections on Christmas Hymns”
December 1-25, 2021
This Christmas season, Pioneer Women’s Ministries is delighted to share with you a Christmas Hymn Reflection each day through Christmas day. A daily email and/or a text will be sent to those who register. To register, text HYMNS to 269-281-2345.